Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Velvet Owl


”WE”are elated to feature Velvet Owl on our "Favs" list. Velvet owl is part of the "Esty" family, for those of you who don't know what Esty is; it's a website that showcases handmade items such as accessories, ceramics, artwork, handbags, bath & body products and tons more. I stalk this site constantly looking for One of a Kind finds that malls and catalogs just don't have, "any who" we Love Love Velvet Owl , her work has been featured on Style me Pretty and other publications. Tina was nice enough to take time out of making her original head pieces and accessories to interview with us.


Events by WE: Give our readers a brief description of the creative talent behind


VelvetOwl Birdcage Veils...



Tina: Velvet Owl happened as kind of a happy accident.

While shopping for my own veil and hair piece

I was torn between pleasing myself and

trying to please what my mom had in mind

for me. Experimenting, a collage of mental

images, and lots of Black Currant tea

definitely helped.






Events by WE: What inspires you too make such lovely head pieces?



TINA: Everything from those lovely little

flowers hand cut from ginger at Chinese restaurants,

black and white hollywood, vintage lace, trim, antique buttons,

second hand stores, the wonderful world of colors,

and of coarse my other half Christian. I tend

to create my favorite designs when I'm supposed

to be rushing out the door to do something else.









Events by WE: Tina, what I love most about your head pieces, is how they have a

vintage look with a touch of modern

swag. How do you view your creations?



 TINA: I didn't realize it until a month ago but they are exactly that. They

are bit of vintage

with a splash of something slightly different. Some brides call them

whimsical and vintage In your mind it may not create such a pretty

picture

but somehow it works out pretty well.






Events by WE: I noticed that the head pieces are named, I think that is so

adorable, but how did come up with names. Would these be names of

people that you know?



TINA: I used to have this thing about names. I would hear a name that I

thought

was unusual or gorgeous and I would write it down on a piece of paper

so I wouldn't forget it. LOL! Once my ex found my name stash (while

he was helping me move) and freaked out, he thought those were the

names of all the kids I wanted!! It does sound a bit weird now that

I think of it, but oh well. Its just my lovely name collection.






Events by WE: What do you need from a bride in order too create a custom piece?



TINA: If the bride has a tiny little vision of what she sees herself

in for her special day that is a huge help. I can design something

really wonderful for the bride but, if she's not feeling it

or hasn't conveyed to me what her vision is. The design

can sometimes get lost.

I usually ask the brides to take a peak in my store

whether it be in my sold items or newly designed pieces.

Most of the time I end up doing collaborations of

a several different pieces mixed in one. Then

I pull back pieces that don't fit to keep the design

clean and not over done. Once the bride approves

of her final piece, her package is off to be shipped.







Thanks Tina
Smouches  

No comments:

Post a Comment